Morning walks

I don't know anyone who finds a broken freezer a blessing. Yes, sometime last week our freezer stopped working. It's a no-frost freezer. It's what housewives' dreams are made of. We enjoyed this invention for some 6 years or so, until the day it just ... stopped creating ice cubes. And in less than 48 hours, I found myself cooking several dishes consisting of meats about to lapse. It wasn't fun at all dealing with a lot of raw meat, but it wasn't so bad either. I actually liked the idea of whipping up a dish made of whatever's left in the fridge (or the freezer for that matter). Thankfully the few dishes that I came up with were good enough to be consumed. Nagfeeling Master Chef talaga ako. Hrhrhr.

(Oh, well... )

As of this writing the freezer has not been fixed. I called the repair shop this morning to inquire about this and that. Hopefully this freezer will be okay by Saturday or Sunday. In the meantime, I have decided to be a bit proactive by taking a walk every morning to buy fresh produce that's good enough for the day. For the first time in like forever, given the 2 years of being cooped, I felt overly compelled to go out and buy stuff for the household. Despite the uneasy task of reclaiming an old routine, I became determined to push myself day by day, perhaps until the no-frost freezer has come back to life. I would go out at 7 a.m. or a little past that and savor the morning breeze and the morning sun, look at the flowers and observe the movement of tree branches. 

It's not a big deal, right?

One might find it amusing that the actual shops that I go to are just about two blocks from the house. Some days my mindset refuses to subscribe to that fact, so each walk is a battle of conflicting thoughts. But I'm happy to report that in most cases and, thus far, the positive mindset wins. And that's the blessing, in case I have not managed to spell things out in this post. (Only a few will understand anyway. You're welcome.)


Image by Daniel Reche from Pixabay 

This week I am expected to walk, again and again, in the morning to get fresh produce and let this ensure for a few more days ... until perhaps ... I finally discover a hint of futility in keeping up with this regimen. (There's always the food app, you see.)

In any case, I still would like to continue the morning walks with or without a compelling reason. Unlike the so many morning walks that I've done in the past, this new edition bears a new perspective. It drives me to visualize toward a particular imagery that connects to my personal practice of meditation. Walking has become part of my mental training. I never once imagined that I would arrive at this stage in my life where the most automatic of movements would be minced by mindfulness. But this is where I am at present. The only best option is to be in it. And, somehow, I am liking it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Penne Pasta with Spanish chorizo and diced tomatoes

I Woke Up Like This